How to install and use java SE 6 jdk in linux ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric)
This for java programer, for those whom developing java programs, NOT for java internet-based apps. If you developing an internet-based apps you should install java EE 6 or later.
On-line Installation using terminal
For those users working in linux ubuntu version 11.10 (oneiric), first it's important to know that there is two ways to install java SE 6 jdk.
- Through linux terminal.Linux gives users full power in the work-environment by giving something called open-jdk, open-jdk is an open source for java SE 6 jdk, To install java SE 6 open-jdk through the linux terminal use the following commands:
- add PPA sun-java 6 to your linux system$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/java
- update your system$ sudo apt-get update
- installation process including java explorer plug-in$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
- Through ubuntu software center (the easiest way).Fisrt open the ubuntu software center
- click on Developer tools
- click on java
- click on open-jdk java 6 runtime- the upper option is to install java plug-in.- in the following photo it appear remove because I already install it, but for you it will appear install instead of remove.
Next topic will be off-line installation process from Linux packages.